Naval Station, Puget Sound, Seattle, WA

NavSta Puget Sound was located at the former Sand Point NAS in Seattle WA.
In 1984 NavSta Puget Sound moved to the newly constructed Naval Station, Everett and the Sand Point facility was turned over to Seattle as Warren G Magnuson Park.

My Duties at NavSta, Puget Sound
Mar 1984 - Mar 1987

Real shore duty at NavSta Puget Sound at Sand Point in Seattle WA!  And I only had to stand duty every month and a half!  Wow!

Initially I was assigned to the Everett Home Porting Project.  I had my own desk, my own phone extension, my own IBM Selectric typewriter, and my own personal computer. (My computer had a 20MB hard drive while most computers on base had to boot DOS from floppy disks) Wow!!  At first I worked with the Everett Shoreline Permit.  Once the Everett base was approved I went on to other mundane things such as establishing collateral equipment.

The command discovered that the base armorer, a GMG1, was an alcoholic and needed to be replaced.  I was one of the few ESWS sailors aboard and the command asked if I would fill in until they could get a relief ordered in.  I agreed and took over the small arms armory.  Basically, I
took care of the DoD police weapons (S/W .38 specials) the base security force weapons (M1911 .45 pistols) and honor guard weapons (M1 Garand).

I had grown up with guns and as a kid I hunted and learned fire arms safety from my Dad, an Army Artillery Officer.  I also discovered that the Navy arms/ammunition messages were just like our navigation NavArea and HydroPac messages, so for me it was a piece of cake.

The only problem was that I was required to conduct small arms qualifications, but, because I was not a Gunner's Mate and I was not permitted to earn a Range Master Certificate
(I tried) so I sought out transit GM  personnel who had one.  Fortunatly, I was able to find experienced GM's in transit and I have them assigned to me.  Most of them had never heard of the new Security Course of Fire, but all I needed was for them stand behind me on the range with their Range Master card in their pocket while I conducted the small arms qualification for the DoD police and security forces.  I also had them performing the usual weapons maintenance.  They got to work in their rate in the armory (instead of mowing grass or raking leaves) and I got more free time. 

I had always enjoyed photography and got to know the base PH (Photographer's Mate.)  When things were things were going smooth in the armory, I was able to help out and work in the photo lab.  I even took over the lab when the PH2 was on leave.  I took an Intel Photography course which was hosted at our lab.  One day I was paying attention to the class, but periodically ducked into the dark room, working on a project.  When the lesson was over I told the instructor that an assignment prevented me from attending class the next day and asked what the next days lesson was? He said, "Printing."  I held out the still wet prints in my hand and he said, "You pass."

One very snowy winter day I was listening to the closure announcements on the radio.  Most public schools were closed, Ft Lewis and McChord AFB were also closed.  But there was no word about NavBase Seattle so off I went.  After driving 50 mi of slippery, frozen roads and dodging crazy drivers I arrived safe but frazzled.  Half an hour later I was told that they were closing the base because the roads were too dangerous and I could go home.  Just great! It was too dangerous for folks to drive 10 miles in the snow to get to the base, but it was OK for me to drive 50 miles in it and it was fine for me to drive another 50 mi in the mess to go home. (Military intelligence at work.)

Many people at NaveBase Seattle thought I was a PH1, while others swore that I was a GMG1.  During my reenlistment ceremony most were shocked to discover that I was actually a QM1.  The re-enlistment cake read  "GMG-PH-QM1 (SW) Husted"  At the time there was a resentment of women in the Navy, so I asked the female LT, who was in charge of Everett Home Porting project to preside over my re-enlistment ceremony and give the oath.  She was a good officer and a friend, but the real reason I asked her to do it was because I knew that it would piss off certain people.  Which it did.

Because of my work in the Armory I was awarded my second Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal from ComNavSurfPac.

In March 1987 I returned to sea duty aboard USS California (CGN-36).

Return to:
Boulder Knoll home page | Dick's Goat Locker